Trends for search engine optimization are not as unknowable as looking into a crystal ball. It is also not as complicated as many professional SEO firms would have you believe either! In fact, as Google, Bing and Yahoo get more focused on bringing searchers the most relevant results, the more simple the job of a Search Engine Optimizer becomes. However, simple in this case does not mean easy. In 2013, I believe the focus will be on quality, unduplicated, content that is reinforced by the relevancy gained through social sharing and meaningful backlinks.
There will be a tighter integration of websites, social media, press releases, SEO and mobile applications. In fact, I think the idea of optimizing for search engines will become congruent with optimizing for actual humans. If the content you are creating and distributing is highly useful and relevant for humans it will likely be favored by the search engines.
- Reliance on original content will continue to expand
- Internet advertising and SEO will be more closely coordinated
- Online press releases will become more important
- Wide spread local directory listings will decrease in importance and relevancy
- Linkedin company pages will increase in relevance and use
- Craigslist will grow in popularity for small business and entrepreneurs looking to buy and sell products and services
- Social media advertising will become as important as search engine advertising
- Video content will continue to expand and will become key to business SEO rankings
- Create a business blog and publish customer-centric articles regularly
- Use internet ads in coordination with SEO results for maximum learning and benefits
- Use online press releases to distribute key content widely. PRweb.com, PR.com and PitchEngine.com are worthy resources
- Select the top five to ten local directories where people are finding, or likely to find, your type of business and fully develop and maintain those listings.
- Develop, expand and regularly update your business company page on Linkedin
- Use Craigslist to promote your services or products and use HTML to create a more professional listing
- Experiment with social media advertising to find which platform results in the best outcomes for your business
- Create regular video content that conforms to the same useful purpose as your blog articles
Review other articles on SEO topics…