One of the most highly touted strategies for growing fans by Facebook Marketing experts is the use of a Facebook ‘reveal tab’ with a mandatory “like” option. A reveal tab with mandatory “likes” is a Facebook page that invites visitors to see additional content by requiring that they “like” the page. This strategy is being used by many organizations to give away coupons, offer free e-books, enter drawings and sweepstakes as well as numerous other uses.
Organizations such as Wildfire Interactive have successfully developed pricing strategies around this advanced Facebook functionality as a way to offer increased value to their customers. Wildfire’s Promotion Builder product offers ‘mandatory likes’ only in their highest level, and most costly, custom service.
This article will take you through the basic steps needed create a Facebook reveal page with mandatory likes.
Create the Two Images that will be used on the Reveal Page
- The first, and most difficult step to creating a reveal page is to design the two graphic images that will be displayed on the page. The first graphic will invite visitors to click “like” in order to reveal the special offer. The second graphic will reveal the offer. Both images must be 520 pixels wide, but they can be much longer in height. Keep in mind that visitors should not have to scroll down the page to view the primary message of the image.
- A common technique for developing the first visible image is to actually blur the second target image. Blurring the image that is going to be revealed gives the visitor an idea about what will be revealed. The invitation to like the page is then positioned over the blurred image
- Once these two images are created upload them to a live web server. You will need to point to these images in the hmtl coding in later steps below.
Add the My Tab App to your Facebook Page
- Go to: https://www.facebook.com/revealtab/app_14167664298
- Click “Install the Application”
- On the page titled “My Tab would also like permission to,” click “Allow”
- On the next “Chose Your Page” window, select the page you would like to install MyTab. If you only manage one Facebook page only one will be in the list.
- Once clicked, a red box asking you to ‘install the application to this page appears. Click the link in the red box to continue
- The next page confirms that you wish to add My Tab to the page. Click “Add My Tab”
- Once clicked, the tab is installed on the page and you will be taken to the Facebook page where it is installed. Click on My Tab to continue the setup process.
- A sample “Thanks for Liking our page” graphic will appear from My Tab. Click the text that says, “change this content to be your custom landing page” which will take you to the Apps page.
Edit the Name of your Reveal Tab
- On the “My Tab” app click “Edit Settings” which will bring up a popup window allowing you to change the name of the tab. Click save when finished.
Edit Default and Reveal Tab Content
- Click on the “Go to App” link to edit the content of the tab.
- In this default content tab page add the html code that points to the image that will appear to visitors who have not yet liked your page. If you are pointing to an image that is not located on a secure server using the “https” protocol a warning message will appear informing you that a significant percentage of users will see error security warnings when visiting your page. An invitation to upgrade to the My Tab premium plan will be offered, but is not required. (See last step in this article for premium pricing and features.) When finished click ‘save.’
- Next, click the “Reveal Content” navigation button at the top left of the App to setup the reveal image using html.
- If you are using the MyTab App for promotions or even coupons make sure you read and comply with Facebook Guidelines for conducting promotions on Facebook pages (Section III.E.). Here is sample of indemnification language you can modify, expand and add to the ‘reveal content’ page.
- “This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. You are providing your information to [Company Name] and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for providing you with a coupon for future services. By downloading this coupon you are releasing Facebook from any responsibility or liability related to this promotion.”
Setup Google Analytics
- If you use Google Analytics to track traffic on your website, you can insert your Google Analytics account ID so that it will track your tab visits as well.
- You can find your Google Analytics ID on the Anaytics Account Home page.
- To setup up analytics, click the “Tab Analytics” navigation button at the top left of the App.
- Enter your Google tracking code and click save.
Move the Reveal Tab to a preferred position on your Facebook Page
- Facebook allows business pages to change positions of the tabs that appear below the header image of the page. Mouse over the new MyTab that appears on your page and click the ‘edit’ pen. Then select ‘swap positions’ with one of the other tabs. The ‘photos’ tab is the only one that cannot be changed.
- My Tab provides this reveal tab free for a maximum of 8 Facebook page installs. An upgraded version can be purchased for $7/mo per page. The upgrade removes the ‘powered by My Tab’ link on the page, and provides 5mb of https image storage for each page install.
- American Drain Cleaning and Plumbing, Phoenixville, PA: www.facebook.com/americandraincleaningandplumbing
- View the “Instant Savings Coupon”
- Robin Renee, Mantra Pop Artist: www.facebook.com/RobinReneeFan
- View the “Free MP3” tab
- Blessing Sent Child Care Center: www.facebook.com/BlessingSentChildcareCenter
- View the “Major Saving Coupon” tab
- If you would like help installing My Tab on your page or need some custom reveal images designed, drop us a line and we’ll quote you a price…