This article was updated on April 24, 2022.
When you sign up for a Google account, you receive a host of powerful Google Workspace tools for work and collaboration such as Google Calendar, Drive, Docs, Meet, and Maps. You will also receive a Gmail address. You may begin to use your new email @gmail.com and its host of useful features, but it may also be helpful to associate another email address with your Google account for several reasons including:
- You’d like to be able to sign into your Google account with a non-Gmail email address.
- You’d like to log into a Google Analytics account without having to create a new Gmail address.
- You want to manage a Google Business Profile with a branded business email address.
- You want to associate your primary email address with a Gmail address to access to Google Docs.
Here are the steps to take to associate your non-Gmail email with Google:
1.Go to google.com and click “Sign in” on the top right-hand side of the page.
- If you are already logged into a current Google account, select the icon in the right-hand corner. A dropdown menu will appear. (If you are not logged in to a current Google account, move ahead to step 4.)
- Scroll down and click “Add another account.” A menu of any Google accounts you use will open. Scroll to the bottom and click “Use another account.”
- On the Sign in screen, click “Create account.”
A dropdown menu will appear. Choose from “For myself,” “For my child,” and “To manage my business.” The “Create your Google Account” screen will open. (You will encounter extra steps if you choose “For my child.”)
- On the Create your Google Account screen, click “Use my current email address instead.” Fill in your name, email address, add a password, confirm the password, and click the “Next” button.
- Verify the email address with the code that will be sent to you via email.
- You will be asked for a mobile phone number for text verification.
- Receive the 6-digit verification code on your phone. Fill in the code to verify your phone number.
- The Welcome to Google screen will appear. Finish filling out your personal information and click “Next.”
- The “Get more from your number” screen will appear. There you can choose to add your phone number to the Google account, click to learn more or to see more options, or click “Skip.”
- Accept Privacy and Terms by scrolling down and clicking “I agree.”
Read our other “How To” articles…