Creating a professional email signature in Gmail is sometimes the last item on a laundry list of burgeoning tasks for a small business professional or entrepreneur. However, creating a professional looking and socially optimized email signature will contribute to increased connections with your customers, colleagues and collaborators!
These steps for creating a custom webmail signature are based on using the web version of Gmail and requires the use of a personal Facebook account.
PART I: Find and Save a Small Logo and Social Icons
- Save a very small version of your logo to your computer hard drive
- Find social media icons for each social site you want to include in your signature.
- Use Google’s Image search functionality to find icons that are exactly 20 x 20 pixels.
- The image size specs can be defined on the Google Image Search page in the navigation boxes at the bottom left of the search engine window.
- Once you find them, right click on them and save them to your hard drive.
PART II: Setup and Colorize the Signature in Gmail
- Log into Gmail using a web browser.
- Click on the wheel icon at the top right side of the browser window and select ‘Settings.’
- The next page will show the ‘General’ settings tab. Scroll down until you see the ‘Signature’ box.
- Type in your name and title separated by a vertical line.
- The vertical line key is above the ‘enter/return’ key on your keyboard and is the same key as the forward slash “\”.
- Then type in your email address on the next line and your phone numbers on the line after that. If you have a business address type that on a separate line as well.
- Add an extra space before typing the last line in all caps which says “FOLLOW ME.”
- Then, go back and make all the text ‘bold’ and add color to your name so that it matches your logo colors.
- Add a space below your name where you will insert a small version of your logo.
PART III: Upload Logo and Icons to Facebook
- In a second browser, window open up your Facebook account and upload/post the small version of your logo and each of the tiny social media icons to one of your photo albums one by one.
- Then, find and click on the logo image you just uploaded into your Facebook album to view it.
- Right click on the image and select ‘Copy Image Location’
- Go back to your Gmail browser window and click on the line where you want the logo to appear.
- On the menu bar, click the ‘insert image’ icon
- Then, paste the image URL you just copied from Facebook into the ‘image URL’ field.
- Then click ‘ok’ and your logo will appear!
- Add a space below the ‘FOLLOW ME’ text and repeat Part III steps 2 through 6 for each social media icon.
- Note 1: If you ever delete the logo or icons from your Facebook account, they will disappear from your Gmail signature as well.
- Note 2: Need Social Media icons? Find some on our blog post “free social media icons in PNG format.“
Part IV: Add Hyperlinks
- Click on your logo, then drag it slightly and release it so that the image is highlighted; aka: selected.
- In the menu bar click on the chain link icon and add the website address to the URL/web address field and click ‘ok.’
- Repeat this process for each social media icon, adding the URL for each of your own social media web addresses.
- When finished, scroll down the page and ‘save changes.’
- Compose a new email to see your new professional signature appear!
- For more technology tips and directions visit our “How To” category of items.
- Access free social media icons on our blog post