There are many business networking and employment opportunities to be found at LinkedIn.com. In addition to making connections and perusing the site in real time, there is great value in sharing your LinkedIn profile URL online and on business cards so that others can connect with you. To that end, it is a good idea to change your randomly-generated LinkedIn URL to something short and memorable relating to your name or company name. Here’s how:
Create a LinkedIn URL for Your Personal Profile
- Go to your profile page.
- On the right side below “Add profile section,” click on “Edit public profile & URL.” A new window called “Public profile settings” will open.
- At the top of the Public profile settings window on the right-hand side, click the edit pencil in the “Edit URL” section.
- Personalize your URL. Your custom URL must contain 5-30 letters or numbers. You won’t be able to use spaces, symbols, or special characters. Remember, short and memorable is best.
- Click “Save.”
Customize the URL on Your Company Page
- Log into your LinkedIn account. Make sure your account has the admin rights to your LinkedIn company page.
- Check to see that you have chosen a unique URL for your company page. Try going to the page of your first choice, for example: https://www.linkedin.com/company/MyCompanyName.
If you get this error message, you’re in luck!
This means that the URL you would like to use is available. Otherwise, keep trying until you find another one that is short, memorable, works for your branding, and is not in use.
- Submit a request to change your URL using the LinkedIn Contact Us Form. Make sure to include your company name, company e-mail address that has admin rights, current company page URL, and the company URL to which you would like to make the change.
- Wait for LinkedIn to contact you to say that your company URL has been customized.
View my other “How To…” articles.