One of the most important directory listings on the Internet for a small business is the Google My Business listing. This online directory integrates the Google Maps listing with the Google Plus page, Google Reviews and event YouTube. Since a small business Google listing can appear at the top of a Google search result, it is critical to claim or create and optimize ones Google My Business account for increased search engine visibility.
When embarking on this local SEO strategy many businesses find that their Google Maps listing has already been claimed by someone unknown to the business. In this case, there are a series of steps that need to be taken to claim a Google listing that is already verified. Good luck and have patience on your quest to enhance this important digital footprint!
- You must first decide what email address you want to use to ‘claim’ the business listing. It is recommended that an email address be used that is connected to the business domain name such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Google requires that the email address being used to claim the local business be connected to a Google Apps account. If the email address is already connected to Google Apps, go to step 4. If it is not connected to Google Apps, you will need to create a Google account and choose the option “I prefer to use my current email address.
- Go to Google My Business and click “Start Now” http://www.google.com/business and either login, if using an existing email address connected to Google or select ‘create an account’ and associate a new email address with Google
- Type in the address of the business you want to claim
- You will see a message that says, “Someone else has already verified this listing”
- Click “Request Admin Rights”
- Select “No, the business is currently managed by someone else.”
- Select “No” to the question “Is this business verified by a user whom you’re able to contact?”
- Fill out the form that follows and submit
- Then, the waiting begins. It can take one or two weeks for Google reps to review the request and listing.
- If no email after a week or two, contact Google Support using this link to facilitate the process: https://support.google.com/business/#contact=1, or https://support.google.com/business/#topic=4539639&contact=1
- Once the listing is released, Google will likely require another post card verification.
Need help with claiming your Google My Business account!? Contact my team to help expedite the process: info [at] loebigink.com.